What we do
We support young people who are struggling to achieve NCEA level 1 or 2 and help them build a detailed plan for moving forward. Our service is funded by the government and is free to young people aged 16 or 17 years who want to be a part of it. Bays Youth coaches work with young people to help them develop education or employment-related goals and to make plans to achieve them. We help guide and support young people towards an independent future.
Our youth coaches can support young people to:
- Develop plans
- Overcome barriers to learning
- Learn about different options for education, training or work-based learning
- Make goals and action plans
- Learn new skills like writing a CV, interviewing skills, driver license education
- Make friends and build social networks
- Be their coach or go-to person!
Our work focuses on supporting young people to:
- Get into or stay in education, training or work-based learning
- Develop life and practical skills
- Gain the skills to find a job and have an independent future
- Increase resilience and wellbeing
“I was depressed, I self-harmed myself. I wasn’t myself and I had just started my course at 15 years of age. I had no self-confidence and had left school… I met my Bays Youth youth coach when she came into my course to do NEET, which was guidance towards my goals and helping me achieve them. [Since working with Bays Youth] I’ve had the confidence to get a job in what I love doing and go for my licence when I thought so low of myself. This is important to me because it helped me be the person I am today, and the person I am today is more confident and outgoing, achieving my goals that I set and doing what I love.”